Wednesday, September 06, 2006

Soda Pop Has Bloody Borders



While a recent article in the Atlantic Monthly is the latest to rehash the red fish blue fish-debate, current analysts would do well to pay attention to the true balkanization that is occuring in America. "Bleeding New Mexico" should be the new battle cry!



Once during my wild times as a geography major, I examined the various terms used for a pancake and how they were distributed in America. More near and dear to all of us though is the soda vs. pop national divide. If history is any guide, the South (and their indiscrimate use of the word "coke" for everything) is the pivot on which the majority could be decided. As a recent post suggests, sometimes soft drinks aren't so soft.



Reflecting on my youth spent growing up in the hate free zones of Seattle and Santa Cruz, I prefer the term "soda pop" and this uniter-not-a-divider attitude is why I am taking this opportunity to announce my candidacy for the 2040 presidency (of which country, I have not yet decided). In the meantime, please make checks payable to "Friends of Nick" (or FONies for short). Please include your name, address, occupation, rank, and serial number (which might be needed depending on which country becomes the New Ecotopia).