Friday, August 27, 2004

Office supply aficionado Alice Cooper calls Eddie Vedder a moron



"Rock and roll legend Alice Cooper called fellow rock stars campaigning for presidential candidate Sen. John Kerry 'treasonous morons.' Cooper, 56, told the Canadian Press that he was appalled that follow musicians Bruce Springsteen, John Mellencamp, R.E.M., Sheryl Crow, James Taylor, and Dave Matthews are performing a series of concerts in hopes of defeating President George W. Bush in the November 2 election.

"'To me, that's treason,' Cooper said. 'I call it treason against rock and roll, because rock is the antithesis of politics. Rock should never be in bed with politics.'

"Cooper continued, 'If you're listening to a rock star in order to get your information on who to vote for, you're a bigger moron than they are. Why are we rock stars? Because we're morons. We sleep all day, we play music at night and very rarely do we sit around reading the Washington Journal.'

"'When I was a kid and my parents started talking about politics, I'd run to my room and put on the Rolling Stones as loud as I could,' Cooper explained. 'So when I see all these rock stars up there talking politics, it makes me sick.'

"Concluded Cooper, 'Besides, when I read the list of people who are supporting Kerry, if I wasn't already a Bush supporter, I would have immediately switched. Linda Ronstadt? Don Henley? Geez, that's a good reason right there to vote for Bush.'"