Monday, December 18, 2006

A new spin on Virginia Woolf

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

If I had my bachelor's degree to do all over again, I would seriously consider designing an "alcohol and culture" major and taking the bulk of my classes with Eric Felten. Oh well, I can't turn back the clock but at least I can read his "How's Your Drink?" column every week. Here's an excerpt on what Kingsley Amis suggests for those who like to stay home to do their drinking:

"The English novelist Kingsley Amis liked a good drink or three and wrote a couple of books on the hobby. In On Drink, he includes a section on how to outfit a bar at home... No. 1 on Amis's list of 'Bar Kit' essentials is a refrigerator of one's own."

"'Wives and such are constantly filling up any refrigerator they have a claim on, even its ice-compartment, with irrelevant rubbish like food,' Amis writes."