Wednesday, October 13, 2010

A tribute to entertainment multi-threat Thor

A few years back, being a diehard Mystery Science Theater 3000 fan, I had the pleasure of seeing the acting talents of Jon Mikl Thor in Zombie Nightmare.



I remember that one of the strongest impressions that movie made on me was that the Cure poster in one character's room was also in the room of my good friend from high school, Mark. It wasn't until years later that the same friend, in an unrelated sequence of events, reminded me of Thor's greatness with this epic fight scene from Rock 'n' Roll Nightmare.



Thor occupied a place in my subconscious from then on. Mark then recently shared on Facebook crucial documentation establishing that Mr. Thor's middle name is not, in fact, Mikl:



Apart from his Heavy Metal magnificence and movie acting prowess, it wasn't until this past week that the full scope of his talent became apparent. As you can learn from his Wikipedia article, Jon Mikl was also the first Canadian to win Mr. Canada and Mr. USA bodybuilding titles. But I owe my greatest debt of gratitude to the AV Club for unearthing footage of Thor that really completes the picture: Thor as Vegas-style showman for Merv Griffin.




Yes, truly, Thor accepts the challenge.