Thursday, March 04, 2010

The Age of Humbert

Via Slate

I'm probably bringing Pieces of Flair dangerously close to relevance, but I don't doubt that there will be a post about a graphic novelization of the life of Godzilla creator Tomoyuki Tanaka or the like in the near future to compensate.

Regardless, as I find myself firmly in the "Hell, that's messed up" camp, and as PoF has previously highlighted the disturbing without ignoring the pedophilic, I thought I could give this a go. It also helps that I believe that Brazil's rising international clout makes them the successors of Japan and Russia as international purveyors of cultural unease.

So, with that in mind, I thought I'd seek commentary on Brazil's 8-year-old Lady Gaga, which, while double-take inducing, doesn't lack for camp value:



A frightening new stage in the sexualization of pre-pubescents, or is nothing new under the sun? As Shirley Temple shows us:



OK, with that, I'll start hunting regretsy for a follow-up post.