Thursday, March 05, 2009

Ode to a yellow cup

BigYellowCup

Last night, March 4, 2009, my wife informed me that she was no longer comfortable drinking from our big yellow plastic cup. It had something to do with bacteria, I think.

In any case, I believe that this is a watershed moment in our relationship, and perhaps our lives. It is a turn of events that merits remarks equal to the occasion. This is my humble attempt.

Goodbye, yellow cup

Before my daughter was born, you were there

Before I married my wife, you were there

Before I had my first job, you were there

Have you always been there, yellow cup?

You lived with us in Ohio

You lived with us in Arkansas

You lived with us in Indiana

In what other fantastic places have you lived, yellow cup?

Sting says that if you love somebody you must set them free

Am I setting you free, yellow cup, or is it you who frees me?

Goodbye, yellow cup

Goodbye.