Thursday, November 11, 2004


After receiving negative feedback on her latest bit of literary masturbation novel, Blood Canticle, Anne Rice decided to respond to her critics directly:

...the entire development of my career has been fueled by my ability to ignore denigrating and trivializing criticism as I realize my dreams and my goals. However there is something compelling about Amazon's willingness to publish just about anything, and the sheer outrageous stupidity of many things you've said here that actually touches my proletarian and Democratic soul.
...You are interrogating this text from the wrong perspective. Indeed, you aren't even reading it. You are projecting your own limitations on it. And you are giving a whole new meaning to the words "wide readership." And you have strained my Dickensean principles to the max. I'm justifiably proud of being read by intellectual giants and waitresses in trailer parks,in fact, I love it, but who in the world are you?


Amazon has since removed the entire post, but it can be found here.

(Credit to Nicole for keeping tabs on the seedy underworld of Anne Rice fandom and for the links.)